Monday 5 January 2009

Best Of 2008

For me 2008 was a weird year for music, I spent a lot of the time traveling and then a couple of months trying to catch up with new music - I’ve still got a list of over a dozen albums I want to get my hands on.

Live I was fortunate enough to catch Coachella and Daydream festivals in the US and Spain respectively as well as see Split Enz in New Zealand, Duran Duran in Paris and The Dodos in LA not to mention a slew of bands in London including superlative shows from Band Of Horses, The Hold Steady, TV On The Radio and The Gaslight Anthem.

Back in November I was thinking that this wasn’t going to be a vintage year, but my list ended up surprisingly strong. I mainly consumed music as whole albums in ‘08, in 2009 I’m expecting to a more eclectic pick and mix.

Best of 2008...

Stone Cold Killers
Friendly Fires ‘Friendly Fires’
Johnny Foreigner ‘Waited Up ‘Til It Was Light’
Bon Iver ‘For Emma, Forever Ago’
The Dodos ‘Visiter’
Kings Of Leon ‘Only By The Night’
TV On The Radio ‘Dear Science’
Elbow ‘The Seldom Seen Kid’
Vampire Weekend ‘Vampire Weekend’
The Raconteurs ‘Consolers Of The Lonely’

Great albums with a couple of dud tracks or overlong
The Hold Steady ‘Stay Positive’
Black Mountain ‘In The Future’
The Walkmen ‘You & Me’
Ladyhawke ‘Ladyhawke’
Sigur Ros ‘Med Sud....’
Los Campesinos! ‘Hold On Youngster’ and ‘We Are Beautiful We are Doomed’
Nick Cave ‘Dig Lazarus Dig’
Death Cab For Cutie ‘Narrow Stairs’

Really Good Albums with a couple of great tunes
Fleet Foxes ‘Fleet Foxes
The Gaslight Anthem ‘The ’59 Sound’
School Of Seven Bells 'Alpinism'
Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks ‘Real Emotional Trash’
MGMT ‘Oracular Spectacular’
Lykke Li ‘Youth Novels’ - Scandiniavan electro pop
White Denim ‘Workout Holiday’

No comments: